Black History Month calendar
1. Black History Month Book Drive February 1- February 26
* Help the Black History Month Planning Committee donate books by African-American authors or illustrators that feature an African- American protagonists. The books will be donated to schools in the Aiken community. All reading level books are appreciated.
* Books can be donated to the Office of Student Life-Diversity Initiatives. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
2. Solidarity Day February 4 @ 6-7 PM | QUAD FOUNTAIN |
* In a show of unity for Black History Month, we ask all members of the USCA community to either wear black, HBCU attire or attire by a black owned business.
3. Diversity Dating Game February 5 @ 6 PM | SAC Mezz
* In partnership with the Homecoming Committee, students get to watch a classic version of a dating game with a diversity twist.
4. Check Your Privilege February 7 @ 12-1 PM | Pen 110 | ICE CREDIT
* Join the Office of Student Life: Diversity Initiatives and the Black History Month Planning Committee as we discuss exactly what privilege is, particularly white privilege. In the event, the facilitators will analyze white privilege, the effect it has had on minorities, debunk any myths and misconceptions surrounding the topic of white privilege, and the idea of minority privilege.
5. Don't Touch OUR Hair February 11 @ 4-5 PM | SAC Mezz| ICE CREDIT
* Join the Office of Student Life: Diversity Initiatives and the Black History Month Planning Committee as we discuss the significance that hair holds in African-American culture. This event is in partnership with CURLS.
6. ‘The Cookout’ February 13 @ 6 PM | B & E Gym |
* The purpose of the cookout is to expose students to a staple in the Black Community. It is also to host a get on board day to show minority students what organizations or opportunities they have on campus.
7. Friday Fun February 15 @ 12-1 PM | SAC Lobby |
* Join the Office of Student Life: Diversity Initiatives for this day of painting and music! We will have pre-made canvas students can choose from that represent old school and new school hip-hop. We will be playing music from artist that been major influences in this era.
8. Say it Loud, I’m Greek and I’m Proud February 15 @ 4-5 PM | SAC Mezz|
* In honor of Black history month, the Student Life Office of Diversity Initiatives in partnership with the USCA Chapter of the National Pan Hellenic Council will be hosting a panel discussion about the important contributions each organization has made.
9. Black Lives Matters: We Kneel with KAP February 18 @ 4-5 PM | SAC Mezz| ICE CREDIT
* Join the Office of Student Life: Diversity Initiatives and the Black History Planning Committee as we discuss the Black Lives Matter Movement and Colin Kaepernick’s position in the “Take a Knee Movement.”
10. Black Card Revoked February 20 @ 12-1 PM | Pen 110 | ICE CREDIT
* The purpose of the event is to have an open discussion with audience about topics in the Black Community and whether or not these things help or hurt the community.
11. I Break Chains All by myself: A Beyoncé Listening Party February 27 @ 4-5 PM | SAC Mezz | *limited space suggested that individuals arrive early*
* Join The Office of Student Life: Diversity Initiatives and The Black History Month Planning Committee as we analyze the influence of Beyoncé through her artistry. The event will specifically target her most recent album, Lemonade.
12. Our Ancestors Wildest Dreams: The Black Gala February 28 @ 7-10 PM | SAC Mezz|
* -Join the Office of Student Life: Diversity Initiatives and the Black History Planning Committee as we honor faculty, staff, and students for their contributions to students of color and Black History Month. It will be a night of dancing, food, and fellowship. Tickets must be purchased to attend, tickets can be purchased byin the Student Life Office